At Sandown Primary we recognise the importance PE plays in our curriculum and are committed to providing children with opportunities to engage fully in Physical Education. Through our PE programme we aim to:
- develop children’s competencies in a broad range of physical activities
- build confidence, resilience and collaboration
- promote a healthy and active lifestyle
- engage in competitive sport
At Sandown Primary, we have embedded the use of the Greenacre Sports Scheme in our teaching of PE across the school. This scheme ensures that children are given a wealth of opportunities to develop their physical movement skills as well as personal objectives. In KS1 and KS2 children have 2 hours of quality PE lessons each week. Within our PE lessons, children are given the opportunity to:
- develop fundamental movement skills, becoming increasingly competent and confident
- work independently and collaboratively
- build on subject specific vocabulary knowledge
- engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities
- develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success
We provide opportunities for children to engage in extra-curricular activities as well competitive sporting events. This inclusive approach endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also promotes well-being.
We help motivate our children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. Our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness. Through continued assessment and pupil feedback (Healthy Living Survey) we adapt our delivery of PE to support and challenge children effectively. We aim to equip every child with a love for sport and the skills and knowledge to live healthy and happy lives.